Monday, November 19, 2012

Return Receipts

I am thankful for the tightly sealed communication
Written with love like an autograph 
In the curves of the lines of my own nomanclature.
I am thankful for the care of the straight edges
Outlining the potential savings of purchases,
Each a representation of our saavy family connections.
I am greatful for the details of the package
A half mocking liberty bell | postage marked
So I can picture the time it took to put this in my hands,
And the courage it took to change your day.
I am happy to have these manufacturer's coupons.
But I have a secret.
In a drawer on my desk they are all there
In neat stacks
The remainders of expired conveys of affection
From 800 miles away
And maybe with all of is left
I could cash in
Just once I think I am hoping
The sealed communication
Would open to a love letter
That doesn't expect me 
To discount
That would wish I would return 
With proof of purchase 
Something the manufacturers could never store
I am thankful
Thankful for generations
Thankful for your love
Thankful I know you'll mail me more 
Maybe I should start mailing you receipts

No comments:

Post a Comment